Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I believe in Billy Corgan

This is likely the last post I’ll be making regarding the big event that happened recently.  Not because I’ve been given a gag order or anything, but because it’s the last thing I have to say about it that will be relevant to this blog.

As nice as the drive was, I found myself with unexpected stress almost right away upon the realization that I’d forgotten to bring something I’d planned to have with me.  That something was the double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins.  I did remember their Siamese Dream album, but I especially wanted Mellon Collie, specifically disc one.  Don’t leave yet, there actually is a point to this related to applying for library jobs.  I’ll get there.  But back to the story, I had many potential “signs” that things were going to go my way, and this was the first potential “sign” that things weren’t.  I don’t believe in signs, because if God or the universe—whatever you want to call it—were in the business of giving signs, it would know not to bother since the potential for them to be mere coincidence prevents them from being any comfort.  But I digress.

And why would this be a supposed sign?  Well, for one I could have sworn I packed them.  I have the actual memory of sliding them into my CD case, so I was shocked and flipped through my case several times before finally accepting they really weren’t there.  And second, well this is the part where we get to why this was important to me and why it has crap all to do with applying for jobs in our poorly chosen field.
The song "Tonight, Tonight" was my theme song during that whole application process, from finding out they wanted to call me for an interview to getting myself pumped for making the trip down there.  And the reason is this particular line (and for your own good, do not imagine me signing it): “Believe in me, believe that life can change, that you’re not stuck in vain.” 

Here’s why that line meant so much to me.  It’s because I really do believe that the thoughts you put out into the world can, at least partially, influence causality.  Not in some crass “the secret” kind of way where all you have to do is think about it really hard and you can have anything you want.  No, not like that.  But self-fulfilling prophecy is a real thing that can influence what happens in one’s life, and even beyond that, I just believe that what you imagine happening can be part of what causes it to happen.  The problem with that line of thinking is that I don’t foresee myself ever, ever, ever in my life getting a full time job.  After living in this ugly fucking basement for the past 5 years, failure after failure after failure, I have a damn hard time envisioning my life ever being different.  Can you blame me?

Like I said before, this was the job I wanted and where I wanted it to be.  I went all in with this one.  I told as many people as I could to cross their fingers for me, hoping that they’d think positive thoughts about me getting the job.  I can’t believe in myself anymore, but maybe other people can.  And I listened to that song, trying to believe in Billy Corgan as he asked, and believe that my life can change after all this time, and I’m not going to be alone in a basement, working a miserable part time job that causes my “moderate to severe depression” forever.  That was what I wanted to tell myself, and now it’s what I want to tell other people in my position.  Just try to believe.  It didn’t help me when I needed it the most, but maybe someday it will help.  That’s my advice, believe in Billy Corgan.  Think positive and try to keep thinking that way, no matter how hard it gets.  Billy Corgan wouldn’t steer us wrong, would he?



Umm, Billy Corgan wouldn’t steer us wrong twice, would he?

No comments:

Post a Comment